Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Moms, how do you handle it when your daughter breaks up with a boyfriend?

My daughter just broke up with a boyfriend of 5 months. I had started getting to really like him and she was making many positive changes in his life. He still loves her and she still sees him, but she says as just friends. He is in college and she is a junior in high school. No serious intimacy or anything like that had started. I want them to get back together but I don't want to push her into something she doesn't want. I think she is just fickle because she is so young. Suggestions are welcome.Moms, how do you handle it when your daughter breaks up with a boyfriend?
At about the same age, one of my daughters was seeing someone who I thought the world of -- very sweet and considerate young man, who treated her with respect and cared very much for her. In my mind I all but had the wedding invitations made out, you know? It just crushed me when they broke up. When I started thinking about why I had that reaction, it occurred to me that it wasn't so much that I liked that particular boy -- though I did -- but that I wanted her to be in a good relationship where she wouldn't get hurt. Safe, in other words.





You've stated ';I want them to get back together ...'; and I'm pretty sure you're coming from the same place I was when you say that, but you also need to remember that when it comes to their relationships what we want for our kids isn't a player; it's what they want for themselves. We can hope, pray, and cross our fingers that we raised them to make good decisions, but we can't do it for them.





Take your cue from your daughter when it comes to talking about ';him';, and don't press the issue. And for heaven's sake don't tell her she's fickle. There may be a very good reason they broke up that she's keeping to herself -- it could well be that she is too young, but it could be something else too. Give her room. She obviously knows how much you liked the guy, and that's about as far as you should go right now.Moms, how do you handle it when your daughter breaks up with a boyfriend?
don't get too involved in it.. if you become too involved, she'll just end up pushing you away. even if your daughter IS making a desicion that you think could have negative effects, something that so many parents don't understand is that there are some things that a person has to learn for herself. sometimes experience is the only way. just make sure you support her in all that she does, and you'll find that she'll come to you and respect your advice and value you as someone she can turn to for help.





honestly, my mother is the only person i will go to for important advice, and i'm so glad she gave me the space to make my own decisions as i got older.





good luck:)))
i guest i have a next 20 years before i am ready for this question as my daughter is 2 years old but i like your question because it as me think about it, what will i do i guest i would find out what is really the problem and help if i can't help than i would just tell her to follow her heart but don't make any mistake she will regret later.
';He is in college and she is a junior in high school.'; Maybe he might have broken up with her cause she's too young. Intimacy issues aside, a college student with a pre-teen is akward, maybe someone found out and ridiculed him.
Ask her if shes alright then if she is tell her she can tlk to you about anything and then ignore it.
You comfort them and sonner or later they'll feel awhole lot better and move on! That's what my mom did for me and I moved on!
your daughter made her decision and its her life. so you shouldnt say anything to interfere
as a mother we try to lead our children to what WE think would be best for them. But they need to be able to make their own choices and it looks like she has.

No comments:

Post a Comment